Canada’s dairy farmers are recognized as world leaders in producing quality milk. Both processors and consumers believe this to be true and have confidence in the milk we produce. The key to our ongoing and future success, however, is to maintain both processor and consumer confidence in the quality and sustainability of the Canadian milk that goes into the dairy products they enjoy.
Dairy Farmers of Canada’s (DFC) proAction
is an efficient and coordinated national program that will allow Canada’s dairy industry to continue its business leadership in producing quality milk by integrating on-farm customer assurance programs.
ProAction integrates several elements into a single program. These elements are currently at different stages of development or implementation across the country:
- Milk Quality - including sampling and quality testing programs, already implemented across Canada under provincial jurisdiction
- Food Safety – formerly the Canadian Quality Milk (CQM) Program, which is already implemented on most farms
- Animal Care and Livestock Traceability – based on the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. Implementation (validations) began in September 2017 and is already implemented on most farms.
- Biosecurity - based on the Biosecurity for Canadian Farms: National Standard. Implementation began in September 2019
- Environmental Sustainability - based on the Environmental Farm Plan. Implementation begins in September 2021
ProAction reinforces the dairy industry’s leadership and encourages continuous improvement. Standards adhered to by all dairy farmers will strengthen our already solid reputation by providing proof to processors, retailers and consumers that we produce safe milk, responsibly.
The new proAction Reference Manual (July 2019) describes the Food Safety (CQM), Animal Care, Livestock Traceability and Biosecurity requirements, which have been integrated into one seamless program. "Place holders" have been left within the Reference Manual for Environment requirements. They will be included in an updated Manual scheduled for publication in 2020.
On this page, you can find:
proAction Advisor List
you can read to learn more about topics related to proAction
Frequently Asked Questions
and answers about the program
Pride in proAction
New proAction Progress Report
for 2017-2018, published March 2019
CLTS Traceability Database
Have questions, comments or concerns? We’d love to hear from you. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org